top of page
  • Robin Fatzinger

Phase 1 To Begin in 2024

You know that gravel trail that connects to the Rountree Branch Trail from Moundview Park? It’s going to get the asphalt and lighting treatment! Let’s call that little trail segment Phase 1.


A Safe Transportation Alternatives for Rural Schools (STARS) grant was awarded to the City of Platteville by the Department of Transportation, which will cover 80 percent of the cost of Phase 1 for trail improvements of paving and lighting. Another grant, from the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources (DNR), will cover the cost of the remaining 20 percent of this project. The City is responsible for just $30,000 toward the design of Phase 1, and the total cost of this phase will be over $568,000. That’s a lot, but do remember it’s on a hill and curved.



This project is actually divided into four phases. The goal is to improve the current gravel trail that runs north from the Rountree Branch trail (near the intersection by the old railroad bridge), through Moundview Park, and up to the corner of Cody Parkway & Fairfield Drive (just north of the high school grounds). So, these four phases include: Phase 1 (connecting our trail to Mitchell Hollow Road): Phase 2 (from Mitchell Hollow Road through Moundview Park to County Highway B); Phase 3 (from County B to the Cody & Fairfield corner); and then Phase 4 (rebuilding of the pedestrian bridge near Mitchell Hollow Road).


Planning for these trail improvements is underway with construction starting in 2024. Note that the PCA needed to agree to care for the trail extending to Mitchell Hollow Road (mainly, cutting the grass). The PCA Board knows that this project will be an incredible improvement to the City’s trail system, and believes that we can take on the extra work for the good of the community. 


The project will now be referred to as Moundview Park Trail Phase 1.

9 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All
bottom of page